Vajra Armor Mantra, Level 1 Retreat
Venerable Dhyani Ywahoo (Pema Sangdzin Khandro), Sunray Meditation Society and Sunray Peace Village are pleased to announce that Khandro Kunzang Dechen of Saraswati Bhawan, will lead the precious and auspicious 5-day Vajra Armor Retreat. The Retreat will be held at the Sunray Peace Village in Lincoln, Vermont at the base of Mt. Hope, where 7 sacred streams meet.
The Vajra Armor Mantra, called Dorje Go-Drab in Tibetan, is among the most powerful healing practices in Tantric Buddhism. Long held as a secret practice, the Vajra Armor Mantra has been practiced for over a millennium by tantric adepts and Tibetan physicians as an effective method for treating diseases, purifying negative energies, and protection from misfortune. The Vajra Armor Mantra was first introduced into Tibet in the 8th century by Guru Padmasambhava, who had collected various teachings and practices on this mantra from the ancient Indian Buddhist tradition. After teaching his close disciples in Tibet, he hid the Vajra Armor teachings in 124 places, to be discovered by future treasure finders as prophesied in his writings.
Guru Padmasambhava predicted that a time would come when there would be a great need for this mantra. To preserve the integrity of the teachings and lineage, he hid different versions of this practice in many different places for safekeeping, until future treasure finders would reintroduce them to the world. Over the past one thousand years, there have been numerous major teaching cycles of the Vajra Armor Mantra that have been revealed, including those of Dorje Lingpa, Mipham, Dudjom Lingpa, and Trakthung NamkhaI Jigme. These teachings outline a deep and profound path to realization and ultimately, to Buddhahood through the practice of healing and re-balancing the outer and inner elements.
This retreat is a “closed retreat”, which means it will be conducted within boundaries. Once the retreat begins, participants are not allowed to leave the area within the boundary, not allowed to have email or phone communications, and must abide by the rules of a boundary retreat. Three meals will be
provided each day as well as snacks and drinks. Since it is a closed retreat, participants will have access to Sunray’s camping grounds for tent or other permissible camping (shared camper accommodations available for extra fee — contact Sunray for more details).
Camping protocols for Vajra Armor Retreat
The following practices are to be observed for the safety of all whether vaccinated or not:
* Masks are required in all communal spaces except when eating.
* In your personal camping area, masks are not required.
* No food, cooking or eating in camp sites, tents or campers.
* Eating is confined to well-designated areas to avoid attracting animals.
* All are welcome to bring their own tents.
* One person Sunray tents must be requested at registration. Cost is $7.50/night.
* All retreatants must bring your own mat, sleeping bag, linens including towels.
* The cost of campers is paid by the retreatant(s) using the camper. Costs vary from $100-$230 per night.
* Each camper can accommodate 2 retreatants. If only one retreatant occupies the camper that person will pay the full cost. When 2 people share a camper the cost is split.
* Campers must be requested at registration. Campers will be reserved on a first registered first served basis. Deposit required when request is made.
* Notice will be posted on website if all campers are taken.
5-DAY VAJRA ARMOR RETREAT SCHEDULE at the SUNRAY PEACE VILLAGE
Wednesday, September 8th
Participants arrive by 11:00 am to set up camping site and settle in.
Noon – Lunch
2:00 – 5:00 pm – Teachings and transmission
6:00 pm – Dinner
7:00 pm – Tsog
9:00pm – Boundary Ceremony
and silent retreat begins.
Thursday, September 9th to Saturday, September 11th
Strict Boundary Silent Retreat
Sunday, September 12th
4:00am – Puja, boundary taken down, Tsog.
9:00am – Noon – Final teachings
Retreat ends at Noon on the September 12th